Grilled aubergines with tahini barbecue sauce
I made this dish after seeing Honey&co’s instagram post for #veganuary.
It’s a recipe from Honey&co couple Sarit Packer & Itamar Srulovich “Honey & co. At Home”.
I changed the recipe as I was not ready to use up 250 ml of my precious Belazu tahini for 3 aubergines. I used much less and it turned out still so delicious.
I started with heating the oven to 240° fan, then halving the aubergines and cutting deep slashes in their flesh without piercing their skins, like this.
I brushed the cut side of the aubergines generously with olive oil seasoned with salt and pepper. To give you an idea, I used about half a cup of olive oil for 3 aubergines.
Roasted the aubergines in the top shelf of the oven for 30 minutes and they looked like this in the end. Beautifully roasted aren’t they?
While the aubergines are roasting I prepared the tahini barbecue sauce. I put 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 garlic cloves and 3 roughly chopped spring onions in a food processor along with 100 ml tahini and pulsed to form a paste.
Then I added just enough water (about 50ml) to thin the sauce down.
I brushed the sauce on the aubergines and put them under the grill for a few minutes until the sauce formed a crust and the aubergines looked like this.
I served the aubergines warm out of the oven with a roast butternut squash salad.
3 aubergines, halved
100ml olive oil
For the tahini barbecue sauce
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 garlic cloves
3 spring onions, roughly chopped in
100 ml tahini
50 ml water
1. Heat the oven to 240° fan.
2. Cut deep slashed in the aubergines flesh without piercing their skins.
3. Brush the cut side of the aubergines generously with olive oil seasoned with salt and pepper.
4. Roast the aubergines in the top shelf of the oven for 30 minutes.
5. While the aubergines are roasting prepare the tahini barbecue sauce. Put all the sauce ingredients except water in a food processor and pulsed to form a paste.
6. Add just enough water (about 50ml) to thin the sauce down.
7. Brush the sauce on the aubergines and put them under the grill for a few minutes until the sauce forms a crust.
8. Serve warm with salad or rice.
Let me know if you cook the recipe either by leaving a comment on my blog or posting it on instagram using hashtag #wooptonight.