Yayla Soup - Yogurt Soup with Mint and Paprika Butter
Autumn is here, and we starting eating soup almost everyday. Here is a recipe of a family favorite. It is called "yayla" soup, which is a warm yogurt soup with mint and paprika butter.
I usually end up with a very thick consistency on my soups which I like. If you like your soup less thick, you can add 1 more cup of stock.
5 cups stock (chicken or vegetable)
1/2 half cup (60 gr) rice
2 2/1 cups (250 gr) yogurt
1 tablespoon plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Mint & Paprika butter
1 tablespoon (30 gr) butter
1. Heat the stock until it starts to simmer.
2. Add rice and let it simmer for 10 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
3. In a bow mix the yogurt, egg, flour and salt.
4. Add couple of ladlefuls of the stock to the yogurt mixture and mix until combined.
5. Tip the yogurt mixture into the simmering stock.
6. If lumps form in the mixture just whisk it using a hand whisk until everything is well combined and lump free.
7. Bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
8. In an other pan prepare the mint & paprika butter, simply by meting the butter and adding the dried mint and paprika and stirring everything.
9. Add most of the mint and chilli butter to the soup reserving 2 table spoons to drizzle on the plates.