Gökçe’s mum’s Pogaça
My friend and neighbour Gökçe’s mum shared her wonderful hand written recipe book with me. And this was THE recipe she kept taking about the most. So I started cooking from the recipe book with this one.
450 gr white bread flour
200 gr Wholemeal bread flour
1 teaspoon instant yeast
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup warm milk
1 cup sunflower oil
100 gr feta cheese, crumbled
50 gr mature cheddar, grated
1 egg white
1 egg yolk
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer mix the flours, sugar, salt and yeast in slow speed.
2. In an other bowl mix the egg, sunflower oil and warm milk.
3. Increase the stand mixer speed to medium and add the wet ingredients in a steady stream to the mixer and mix for 10 minutes until a soft dough forms.
4. Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl and shape it into a ball. Let it prove in the fridge overnight.
** Cold prove overnight makes a difference but if you don’t have time you can prove in room temperature 1 or 2 hours.
5. Take the dough out of the fridge and divide in to 16 equal parts.
6. Shape each in to a small ball and rest for 10 minutes.
7. Prepare the filling by mixing feta and cheddar cheese with egg white in a bowl.
8. Shape each piece as shown in the video on my instagram post here and place in an oiled baking tray and rest for 20 minutes.
9. Heat the oven to 180° fan.
10. Brush each pogaca with egg yolk and sprinkle with sesame and nigella seeds.
11. Bake in the oven 25 minutes or until golden brown