We enjoyed this lovely shakshuka with friends on Sunday brunch and the leftover tomato sauce served as tomoato sauce for the pasta at dinner. Recipe is below, if you want left over tomato sauce just double the sauce ingredients and save half of it before adding the eggs.
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion chopped
1 red pepper chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
Pinch of Cayenne pepper (or more if you like it spicy)
400 gr tin of chopped tomatoes (get the best one, as it makes or breaks the shakshuka)
1 teaspoon sugar
Handful of chopped parsley
Pinch of Pull biber (Chilli flakes)
1. Heat the olive oil in a pan (with a lid) and add chopped onions and cook until golden, 5 minutes in low heat.
2. Add peppers and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Stir in the garlic, cumin, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper and cook for further 2 minutes.
4. Pour in the tomatoes from the tin and bring to simmer, add the sugar and leave to simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Crack the first eggs in a small bowl, using a wooden spoon move the tomato sauce aside in the pan and pour the egg to the space. repeat the same with rest of the eggs.
6. Close the lid of the pan and leave to simmer for 10 minutes until the eggs are booked.
7. Sprinkle the parsley and chilli flakes and serve with fresh bread.