I made this cake in an attempt to make the most of the blood oranges that are in season. I have followed a recipe from Feedfeed but simplified it to suit me.
I will write down how I made it as I know I will want to make this again for my friends who have celiac disease.
4 medium blood oranges
150 gr + 1 tablespoon golden caster sugar
170 gr gluten-free plain flour
40 gr ground almonds
½ teaspoon xanthan gum
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
1½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
120 ml extra virgin olive oil
120 ml cold milk
1 teaspoon orange extract
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Heat the oven to 180 C / 350F
2. Line the bottom and sides of an 8” round cake tin with baking paper.
3. Peel 1 of the oranges and place the peel in a measuring cup with the olive oil.
4. Cut off and discard the end of the oranges, then stand one of the orange upright on a chopping board and with a sharp knife cut downwards to remove the skin and pith in neat sections. On peeled cut the orange into 0.5cm thick slices. Repeat with rest the oranges.
5. Lay down the orange slices at the bottom of the cake tin overlapping so that the bottom of the tin is completely covered, You can cut some of the orange slices to fill in the gaps.
6. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon golden caster sugar evenly over the orange slices.
7. Take out the orange peel from olive oil and discard, add the milk, orange extract, vanilla extract and eggs and whisk with a fork.
8. Measure and mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
9. Add the wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix with a spatula until everything is evenly mixed.
10. Pour the cake mixture over the oranges.
11. Bake in the oven for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick poked in the center comes out clean.
12. Leave the cake to cool completely.
13. Invert the cake on to a place and take off the parchment paper from the top of the cake, slice and enjoy.