This is one of my most baked recipes in the kitchen. I make it a lot, I mean a lot! It’s filo pastry with a mature spinach and feta filling.
It took me a lot of trial and failures to get it to this state as the filo pastry in UK is very different from the fresh filo that you get to make börek in Turkey.
I also use mature spinach which I get from farmers market, but it is ok to substitute it with baby spinach or even frozen leaf spinach, but not the frozen chopped spinach as it turns out like baby food with that kind.
220gr pack of ready rolled filo pastry
1 tablespoon olive oil
250 gr mature spinach washed and chopped to 2 cm ribbons
100 gr feta cheese
50 ml olive oil
75 ml fat free yogurt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Heat olive oil in a pan and add spinach in batches. Spinach will take a lot of space at first but as it is cooked it will get wilted and there will be more space to add more spinach in the pan. Once all the spinach is in the pan cook in low heat for 5 minutes until spinach is wilted.
2. Turn of the heat season with salt and peeper and crumble feta into the pan. Leave aSide.
2. Heat the oven to 220 C / 200 C fan / gas mark 7.
5. Mix the olive oil, eggs and yogurt in a bowl.
6. Use a square oven dish that is smaller than the size of the filo pastry sheets, brush the dish with olive oil.
7. Lay the the filo pastry ensuring that the excess length of the pastry drapes on the side.
8. Put 2 tablespoon of the egg mixture and brush the pastry with it.
9. Put an other layer of filo pastry, ensure that the excess length of pastry drapes on the opposite side.
10. Brush with 2 tablespoons of the egg mixture.
11. Repeat until you have 1 filo sheets left.
12. Put the cooked spinach feta mixture on the last layer of the pastry and spread evenly.
13. Put the last layer of filo pastry as before brushing with the egg mixture after each one.
14. After the last pastry is placed start folding in the excess pastries on the sides one by one. Brushing with 1/2 table spoon of egg mixture after each layer.
15. Once all the sides are folded, pour the leftover egg mixture especially along the sides where you have more layers and brush evenly.
16. Sprinkle sesame and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.