Hello, it's been a while since my last post.
Recently I visited my nutritional therapist and got help to set my nutritional goals going forward and start menu planning for a healthier diet and lifestyle.
1. Quit processed sugar
This is the difficult one, but I did it for 4 whole months before so it is something I can do.
2. Aim to have 7 servings of vegetable and 2 servings of fruit everyday.
3. Aim to have 3 oily fish such as salmon, sardines or mackerel every week.
4. Aim to have a protein source with every meal and snack.
5. Exercise more
Cycle if not walk 10,000 steps everyday.
I will be choosing a set of cook books to build a weekly menu and try to achieve my goals.
Here is a list of books I chose for the first week;
1. Oklava - my favorite book nowadays
2. Plenty More - because I would like my vegetables to be delicious and interesting.
3. Holford books - because I can find healthy and low GI recipes in these books especially for breakfast and snacks.
4. BBC Good food magazine February 2017 issue.
And this is the menu that I came up with;
How did it go?
I followed the plan quite well except one evening when we decided to eat out.
I skipped some of the dishes because we had leftovers from the day before.
I decided not to shop for the whole week and it was a good decision as I did not cook some of the dishes.
I cycled 3 days a week and did 10,000 steps for the rest of the week.
Dishes I have cooked from Oklava panfried mackerel and rump steak tantuni were the highlights of the week. I will definitely be cooking these and more from Oklava in the coming weeks.
I will be watching how much vegetables we have and try to have more everyday.
I will be sharing the plans weekly.
Next week I will be posting a new menu from a different set of books.